Ferguson Conservation Park

Where is it?: Ferguson Conservation Park is bounded by Hallett Road, Stonyfell Road and Marble Terrace at Stonyfell in the eastern foothills of Adelaide. The park is also accessible by public transport – Bus Route 141 (City to Stonyfell – Stop 17).

Owner: Department for Environment and Water

Property summary: Total area 8 hectares – Hundred of Adelaide, Section 687 (originally Part Section 289).

History: The area was presented to the Government of South Australia by the late Miss A.E. Ferguson in June 1949 and became a National Pleasure Resort. From 1972 to 1976 it was the Ferguson Recreation Park. On 24 June 1976 it was re-classified as Ferguson Conservation Park. 

Habitat: The vegetation of  the park is dominated by South Australian Blue Gum (Eucalyptus leucoxylon) open forest/woodland with scattered large River Red Gum (E. camaldulensis) along Stonyfell Creek. 

Numerous small trees, notably Native Pine (Callitris preissii), Drooping She-oak (Allocasuarina stricta) and Golden Wattle (Acacia pycnantha) form a variable second strata below the eucalypts.

In the central area of the park Native Pine is the dominant tree.

More information. DEW

Total Species Recorded to Date: 78 (non-passerines 44, passerines 34)

Common Species: Eastern Rosella, Crested Pigeon, Noisy Miner, Australian Magpie

Less Common Species: Brown Falcon, Laughing Kookaburra, Purple-crowned Lorikeet, Red Wattlebird

Download the bird list