Ferries-McDonald Conservation Park

Where is it?: The park is located approximately 20 km south west of Murray Bridge at the junction of Ferries-McDonald Road which dissects the park and Chaunceys Line Road. 

Owner: Department for Environment and Water

Property summary: Total area 842 hectares. Hundred of Freeling – Sections 103, 238, 241, 242, 245, 246, 266-268, 271, 272

Landscape Management Region: Murraylands and Riverland

History: The park was dedicated in two stages. The first took place on 28 July 1938 when the area was gazetted as a Closed Area for Birds and Animals, creating the first reserve specifically for mallee fauna. The area was named after Robert McDonald, the donor of much of the land. An addition to the park was made in 1953 with monies from a bequest from James Ferries, thus creating the Ferries-McDonald Reserve. The area was previously known as Chauncey’s Line Scrub.

Natural Resources Management Region: Natural Resources South Australian Murray-Darling Region

Habitat: The area is covered with dense mallee scrub.

Total Species Recorded to Date: 89 (non-passerines 31, passerines 58)

Common Species: Galah, Variegated Fairywren, Weebill, Southern Scrub Robin, Australian Magpie, Australian Golden Whistler, Grey Shrikethrush

Less Common Species: Spotted Nightjar, Tawny-crowned Honeyeater, Chestnut-rumped Hornbill, White-browed Scrubwren, White-winged Triller


Updated: 24/07/2021

Download the bird list